Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Belated Tribute

Unfortunately I was unable to post this on Father's Day as I couldn't get to an internet source in time, so I apologize that this tribute is a few days late.

My Dad is the greatest. There were times when I didn't like to admit how much I'm like my Dad, but I am now proud to say that this apple didn't fall far from the tree (pun intended). From the day I was welcomed into this world my Dad has been a hero of mine, though I haven't always expressed it. As a child I was a mini Winston, a toe headed toddler with his identical invisible eyebrows and lashes; I think I was born with the beginnings of a farmer's crow's feet and his trademark forehead lines. Growing up, I enjoyed trying to show him how brave I was every chance I got, though many times his encouragement got us both into trouble....'Hey Hann, I dare you to do a front flip off that high dive!' or 'Why don't you hold up this picnic table while I mow underneath?' or 'Here's a jackknife and a bar of soap.'


Beard showing me around Roger's Lake and telling me stories of his childhood there

While my Mom sat wringing her hands over my adventurous activities, my Dad would walk by and wave to me as I played on the roof, or talk to me through the window as I balanced in the bed of the pickup truck next to the carcass of a dead deer. He had me driving a stick shift by the age of 10, illegally on the road by 14, taught me how to spin donuts on snow days, and I can proudly say that these days I change a tire like I'm in a NASCAR pit crew. We spent Sunday afternoons watching the races, eating salted hamburger meat while he quizzed me on drivers names and car numbers. We argued over our favorites, but he ended up buying me a cap sporting the logo of a driver he didn't prefer at my first Daytona 500 anyway. He taught me how to throw and catch, never missed a softball game, and beamed when my coach nicknamed me 'Slugger.'

Rhode Island College Gymnastics #1 Fans

Even after I abandoned softball in pursuit of my gymnastics career, he sat in the stands, giant video camera perched on his shoulder, my routines memorized, saying I was robbed when I received what he thought was an unfair score. In college he remained my number one fan, attending every meet, the only father that knew the names of all of our tricks and skills, his voice the one I could hear above all the rest cheering me on, proud no matter what the outcome. Though we are farmers by trade, he supported me wholeheartedly when I decided to follow my passions and become a metalsmith. We enjoy sitting together in my studio (though we argued over the space) discussing process, materials, and techniques, and he even bought me my first torch.


My Dad, Mom, and I on the Blue Ridge Parkway

A manly laboring man, my Dad is still quite sensitive, compassionate, and loving. He has been married to his sweetheart since the age of 19, and together they have shown my sisters and I how hard work and perseverance pay off. They bought our farm when they were younger than I am and basically re-rooted it, struggling for a long time to build what is now a haven of a home for our family and its future generations. They taught us how to work the land, to provide for our community, and work hard to accomplish our goals. Together my parents have shared plenty of hardships, building our lives from the ground up, and I can proudly say that after 39 years, my Mom and Dad are more in love than they have ever been. They've given me hope for new beginnings, shown me that I can do anything I set my mind to, and above all else, instilled in me the importance of a strong family. My Dad's best friends are his siblings, his life revolves around his family, and he has taught me what it takes to be a strong member of that team, that no matter what you never give up on your family, you must always support them. He is a great father, caring foster parent, and an amazing 'Beard' who's grandchildren think the world of him.

My beautifully eccentric family

I have to hand it to my Dad, he survived 30 years as the only man in a house filled with strong willed females. Though he's grateful for my brother-in-law and he celebrated the day his grandson was finally born, I think he secretly enjoyed the days when he was the only male, and he raised his daughters to be as strong and self-reliant as any sons would be.


Though we have experienced our fare share of arguments -- during my teenage years we constantly knocked our hard heads together -- my Dad is someone that I am very proud of, and feel so blessed to have in my life. So Daddy Loaf, I miss you more than I ever have and I can't wait to see you soon. Thank you for everything, you are the best Dad I could ever ask for. Happy Father's Day! I love you.


My father, he taught me how to sow, told me that the land could teach me how to grow. If I could keep open my heart, never be apart from the ebb and flow of life.

-Chris Dorman

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Hannah,
    What an absolutely wonderful tribute to your father! It must truly warm his heart to know how you so love and admire him...
    I did not know my father. He died when I was only 2 years old. So it always does my heart good to see, especially a young child or young woman, enjoying her relationship with her dad. It always gave me great pleasure watching my husband play with our children.
    You have the good fortune of coming from a wonderfully close-knit family. By the looks of the pictures you sent, you all look like you know just how to have a great time with one another...
    Awesome!!
    Hope you are enjoying yourself with your friends after your labor of love.
    Looking forward to hopefully seeing you...maybe at Christ Chapel.
    Much Love....Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Mary!

    I am so blessed to be a part of such an incredible family, that I am sure! Writing this made me realize just how much my Dad really means to me and how much we have been through together, Thank you for your kind words, I am really looking forward to seeing you when I get home in a few weeks!

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete