Friday, February 25, 2011

An Eyesore in Mysore

After a long week of hard work, George put us on a bus headed for Mysore bright and early Friday morning for a nice exploratory day trip. Situated at the base of the Chamundi Hills, Mysore is the second largest city in Karnataka, and was once the state's capital. It is known for its silk and sandlewood, as well as gardens and majestic palaces, grandiose and elaborately detailed. We stopped at several places along the way to visit beautiful temples and churches, shops, and enjoy speedy meals that were a welcome change from our various spicy rices back at the home.

It was the first time I have ventured out of Bangalore since I arrived and it was nice to get a change of scenery. We passed flooded rice paddies, palm groves, and markets along the way, really getting a feel for the country side. We observed Indian culture, admired their artwork and breathtaking architecture, and drooled over the street food that we were forbidden to eat. As we walked through the dimly lit shrines and the smooth stone of the temple floors cooled our bare feet, I really started to feel like I was in India.

The Palace of Mysore

Since I have been here, I have really started to feel what it is like to be a minority. Call me naive, but I honestly don't usually think about the color of my skin; I am blessed to have grown in a melting pot and lived in a land of diversity where there are people of all colors, shapes, and sizes. I am only reminded of my pigment when I see people staring hard at me with furrowed brows or pointing cameras at me like I am a circus side show. Or better yet, when I finally do see another white person and for a split second think, 'who is that goon?' before realizing I must look like that to everyone else. It is one thing when people come up smiling and ask me my name or where I am from, but it is another for them to blatantly stare inches away from me or point a camera in my face as I walk by - not because of what I am doing or who I am, but because of my milky skin and golden hair. It doesn't make me angry, just very aware. Aware that it is different here, that the diversity is slim and people are inquisitive because of that lack. In some situations it is more endearing, like when the children softly stroke my skin and poke my freckles with curiosity, or when parents at the park want to know if I will pose in their family portrait. (Benny says next time someone asks I should charge a fee.)

Mary and Nina politely complying to the 'white girl' photo shoot (one of many)

In the end, it's all just a matter of adaptation. Humans are naturally curious creatures and when something stands out, it requires a second look and sometimes an explanation. I am happy to be an experience for these people, because after all, they are surely one for me.

All in all, it was a really great outing, a break from the daily grind to enjoy some time with friends, seeing the beauty of the land and and the culture of the people.

Definitely the highlight of my day!
Wild monkeys outside the Sri Chamundeshwari Temple on Chamundi Hill, Mysore, Karnataka

No comments:

Post a Comment