Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Movin' on up

I can't believe it's the last day of classes. In mere days I will be a college grad. I have to admit even as the day approached, I never really pictured it happening. When I first set foot on a college campus, I hadn't a clue as to what I was getting into. And I had no intention on graduating. (Don't tell my parents.) I was doing what I felt like was the next step, relying on the one talent I knew I could (gymnastics) to transition me into the next phase. I remember my mom and sister crying as they left me in my dingy half underground dorm room in Rhode Island, my feet hanging several feet off the floor from my dormatory bed stacked on cinder blocks, not knowing a soul. They would later remark on how little and lost I looked, my legs swinging aimlessly as I waited for my new life to unfold.

Now, ahem, seven (I know traditionally it's 4..) years later, things have drastically changed. I couldn't have predicted I'd be living the life I am today back when I was sitting on that bed in Suite B of Willard Hall. The move far away from home to be on my own helped me grow into the independent young woman I never knew I wanted to be. This weekend as I don my cap and gown and walk across the stage to receive my degree, I will cross an imaginary line that will bring me into the next chapter of my life.

To risk sounding like I am giving an acceptance speech, or just sickly nostalgic, I want to extend some special thanks to all the people who have helped me along the way.

First and foremost, my wonderful family: Dovey and Beard, my loving parents for their unwavering support, my beautiful and talented sisters Jane and Emma, my saving graces Violet, Otto, and Clementine, my laid back and always cool brother-in-law Scott who always rolls with the punches, and of course my sanity and strength, my best friend Shish.

....to my friends....my roommates, the W.O.W, for always knowing when to tell me what I want to hear and when to give it to me straight. and when to sit at the kitchen table until the wee hours of the morning discussing the manifestation of our dreams and desires. All of my friends who are too numerous to name, you have been my inspiration and strength and I love you more than I can say!

....to my professors....
I want to give a special thanks to my professor Nell. Thank you for encouraging me to follow my own path, stay true to myself and my passions, and for consoling my many anxieties as I prepare for real life. You have helped me more than you can imagine!
PJ, master craftsman, mentor, and friend, thanks for pushing me to the breaking point, I will continue to strive to aquire a library of skills like yours. Your humor has been a saving grace.
Kim, for taking me to France, becoming a friend, and starting me off on this voyage.

Thank you all, I love you!

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing!!! Sweet soul sista! you GO.... INDIA is awaiting your arrival.

    ReplyDelete