Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Roots to Branches, a collection.

Here are some images of my recent work from my senior collection. Eventually I will get some professional photos taken, but for now my own amateur attempts will do. I have included my artist statement so you can get the gist of my concept and motivation. Please feel free to let me know what you think. Enjoy!

Roots to Branches, neckpiece I

Roots to Branches, neckpiece I detail

Roots to Branches, ring I

Roots to Branches, ring II (rotating ring)

Roots to Branches, neckpiece II

Roots to Branches, neckpiece II detail

Roots to Branches, bracelet I

Roots to Branches, bracelet I (on model)


Coming from a very tight knit family of farmers, I am literally rooted to the land I grew up on. Though this connection is strong, I also have a passion for travel and exploration that lures me places far from my home. This body of work illustrates the struggle for balance between these two intangible, and perhaps irreconcilable situations. Combining several mediums and techniques to characterize my curiosity, I create forms that symbolize unity, balance, and connections among chaos. Some components allude to the solidarity and security of home, while others embody the nomadic freedom of travel. In the same way one may bring a memento from home to carry with them on a journey, or display souvenirs from past travels, these elements contain each other; the notion of existing in one space while desiring another. The connections between components illustrate the attempt to marry the two situations, but ultimately describe the moment of experiencing one while simultaneously longing for the other.



1 comment: