Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Big Surprise

Just when I thought I might be able to do my mom a little justice with that Mother's Day post, she goes and does something like show up in India! I received the biggest surprise of my life yesterday -- my Dovey traveled across the world to see me!

I hadn't slept much in several nights and had been laying awake since 3am. Sabita got the girls up at 4am to 'go walking' and though I thought that was kind of a cruel punishment for misbehaving the day before, I joined them because I couldn't sleep anyway. If this were at home, I would know something was up, but I just chalked it up to Indians and the odd hours they keep. Sabita and I dropped the girls back at the house after a few rounds of the neighborhood and kept walking down into town and came back some time around 5:30. When I came in Nina was up, also unusual, but for some reason I didn't question that either. I had just lay down to try and nap for a few minutes when I was summoned next door to meet a friend of George's that was visiting. Exhausted and irritated I said I'd come in a bit and lay back down. Sabita came in a minute later urging me to come, everyone was waiting for me, and finally I got up, really grumpy at this point, and as I was getting ready George came calling for me. Now I was irritated. Three people in five minutes? What could be so important? I'm coming. As I stomped out the door, dressed in whatever I could find lying around, specs perched on the end of my nose, I noticed George standing outside. As I exited the gate trying not to glower at him he said 'Sorry to disturb, I want you to meet our guest!' and pointed to the porch. There she was, my Dovey! I don't know if I have ever been so shocked in all my life. There was my mama surrounded by my babies! Speechless and haggard I flew into her arms and the waterworks began. As I got used to the realization that she was in fact there with me, all the oddities of the days leading up to her arrival started to hit me. (It turns out she was MIA for a while after some flight complications and that was causing everyone to act even weirder than before.) How had I not figured out that something was up with everybody dodging me and acting so fishy? I can be pretty oblivious sometimes. Everyone (George, his family, Nina, the wardens, my family, and my best friend) dropped hints along the way but never enough to give me a clue. Anyone who knows me knows that surprises are one of my favorite things in all the world and this one really tops the list. The people in my life are absolutely some of the best in the world, I am sure of that. I am so blessed!

Whaaaa Haaappen?


This is what I do when I'm overwhelmed
(I got so excited I did the 'Fawma')

Dovey got to join us for this months visit with the widows to offer counseling and their monthly stipend

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe I didn't blow it, although I came pretty close several times (I know, surprise) I got so veclempt reading this I cried! (at work!) Miss ya both, love u

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful surprise!! What a great mom!! Enjoy one another!
    (Like I have to tell you that! :)

    Love....Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah,
    So excited to hear of your Mom’s surprise visit!
    It reminds me of a similar surprise visit I did for my daughter, Jane, in March, only not as far or long away. I can’t imagine the joy your Dovey brought to you, but do have a taste of the joy you bring your Dovey.
    “As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you…” Isaiah 66:13
    Thank you for your commitment to mothering God’s children.
    Paul M.
    PS – when are you coming back to the states?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Paul,

    Surprises are pretty much the most wonderful thing! How funny, my sister's name is Jane too! I feel like Dovey has put new perspective into my situation and since I have been here for a while, her presence has enabled me to see things through the eyes of a newcomer again and it is so refreshing. Not to mention I was really missing her! Thank you as always for your prayers and support.

    Hannah

    PS. I will be returning in early July. Looking forward to home, but slightly anxious about leaving here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma and Mary,

    Sorry for some reason, your posts just showed up! We had such a great time and it flew by so quickly. I'm so glad that she got to come and experience everything here if just for a short time. Thanks for keeping the secret Em, it blew me away! Love you!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete