Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Longest Goodbye

It's been almost four days since Dovey left and sometimes it's hard to believe she was even here at all. Her stay in India was a whirlwind and those 10 days flew by incredibly fast. On her last night we were invited to a program put on by all the kids. Stanish was the MC, the kids sang and danced and we were once again presented with garland leis from the three youngest. Dovey was given a beautiful framed drawing by Stanish and we were thanked by George and the wardens for all we have done. (He said that the program was a goodbye for the three of us because they couldn't bear to do it again when Nina and I left.) But the most touching moment of the night came from a heartfelt speech made by 16 year old Ganesh.


Siblings Nakshathra (10) and Ganesh (16)

Ganesh is the sweetest teenager I have ever met. He is Nakshathra's big brother and is so caring and loving towards her it melts my heart. He stood up in front of everyone and gave a tearful and shaky reflection (in Kannada translated by George):

'I thank God for this time. I thank God for this precious time.....I thought that I lost everyone and didn't have any relationships in my life. I was all alone. I thank God that God has given me such a wonderful children's home. After coming to this children's home, I got a good father, mother, brothers and sisters. I thank Papa and Mama [George and Jyothi] for giving me a good education. After coming here, I never felt a lack of anything. I thank Diane Aunty for coming in our midst. The three of you [Dovey, Nina, and I] helped us a lot. I thank you for all that you have given. I thank God that you not only came here, you also prayed with us and you ate with us and you played with us. I thank God for this time.'

It was both heart wrenching and touching to watch, especially as Nakshathra began to weep in the front row as she listened to her brother speak. The two have been through so much together and because of George and his family, they now have a home and a family of their own. After the program I sought out Ganesh and gave him a big hug and thanked him for his words. He just held my hand and asked 'When will you be back Aunty?' Others begged 'Please don't go Aunty,' and it was all I could do to not lose my composure.


This is going to be the hardest goodbye I have ever had to make. It certainly is the longest; it seems that we've been preparing and good-bye-ing for the last few weeks. I have learned not to bring it up around Nakshathra because she ends up in tears at the very mention of our departure. She is going to be especially hard to say good-bye to. We have been with her pretty consistently from the get-go and she has become very close to our hearts. She reminds me a little bit of myself, quiet at first, then super silly and rambunctious, but ultimately pretty fragile. I wish I could take her and her brother home with me, though I think I could say that for all of these kids. We have one week left at New Hope and it's going to fly by. Pretty soon it will be hard to believe I was here at all. I have a while yet before I return home to the US, but leaving here is going to feel a lot like leaving home. Because that's really what this place has become.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how you are going to do it, because I was crying reading this and I have never met these children. Just remember no matter how hard it is to say goodbye, you have left a permanent imprint in these childrens hearts and they will never forget the impact you have had on their lives. You have taught them, cared for them, and most importantly, shown them that they are important and worthy of another's love. Stay strong, you and the children are in my thoughts always

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hannah,
    Sounds like time is really winding down in a hurry! I can't believe you will be leaving in another week.
    How wonderful that your mom was able to come and see firsthand the work you are involved in. It must make her heart really proud. Where will you be off to before returning to the States? I hope you'll be taking a relaxing vacation. You deserve it!
    I want you to know it's been really touching following you along on your blog, hearing about your joys and sorrows, happiness and concerns. I shall miss you and your Indian munchkins!! You have done a wonderful work and touched many hearts as Ganesh has testifed. Seeds that you've sown will sprout up in his life and they have started to sprout already! And not just in his but in all of the children. God love you for your wonderful unselfish heart. You will be long remembered by these children.

    In as much as you have done it to one of the least of these, you have done it unto Me...(Doesn't get any better than that!)

    Much Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma,

    I was literally JUST thinking about you! I miss you sissy:( Thank you for your support, this is going to be a rough week. These kids have taught me more than I could have ever taught them. I'm looking forward to seeing YOU again! Love you,

    Toots



    Mary,

    This time has flown by so fast, it feels like I just got here! Thank you for your constant love and prayers, you have been one of my biggest supporters. I am so glad that others have been able to get to know these kids through my blog and I hope that they can help me to spread the word about HHI so that they can continue to expand their vision in the future.

    After this, we will go with George to a tribal area of Bhadrachalam in Andhra Pradesh where he started caring for a small group of children a few years ago. They have finally been able to construct a thatched-roof hut for them and we are going to inaugurate it. It is going to be so different from here and an eye opener for sure! We are really looking forward to the experience. After that Nina and I will travel north, checking out some other areas on the way. We will part ways in mid-June and from there I will go to Italy and Spain for a few weeks to see my best friend and relax! I will be back in the US in July. I'm looking forward to seeing you again!

    We only met a few days before I left, but I feel like I've gotten to know you through my experiences here. Thank you for joining me on my journey and encouraging me every step of the way. You are a gift from God :)

    Much Love,

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete