Sunday, May 15, 2011

Flipping for Cricket

Its been really nice having my mom here the past few days. Not only have I really missed her, but she has helped me to see things through fresh eyes again. Sometimes it's easy to become jaded to your surroundings when you've been submerged in them for a while. It's also really fun to be able to show her what my life is like these days. I could go home and tell everyone all about it, but it's not the same as her being able to see first hand what things are like here. Right off the bat she was able to witness me lugging buckets of water from next door (we had no running water again), hold a vomiting child over the pit (true, it was my fault for bribing her with candy before breakfast) and show off my polished Indian eating skills. She nearly had a heart attack while Nina and I calmly strode through swift and chaotic traffic on the way to town, had her first 'I want to cry' moment when she saw a mouse struggling for its life on a piece of sticky paper at the grocery store, and prayed fervently while riding in the backseat as Benny maneuvered his way through several lanes of oncoming vehicles (including a man in a hand-peddle wheelchair merging influx.)

I have to say she has really impressed me. I would have thought she'd be a little more squeamish or hesitant when thrown into such severe culture shock, but she has taken it in stride pretty well. This morning we were invited to George's church where she gave a little testimony and spoke to the congregation, and tomorrow we will head to Mantralayam (in Andhra Pradesh) to the children's home that George started there. This afternoon we joined the boys upstairs to give them the cricket equipment that was gifted from the wonderful girls at Flip Flop Gymnastics (Deep River, CT). They were thrilled to say the least! They were so excited to get all the new official gear and the cheers grew louder with every bat I pulled out of the box. They were very grateful and said a prayer, thankful for the girls and their kind hearts, then flew outside to play. Thank you Flip Flop girls!

(Above photo: Dovey with the boys and their new gear)

Showing the boys their cricket sponsors back in the US


No comments:

Post a Comment