Saturday, April 16, 2011

Boxes of Gratitude

The sun was setting outside our window, Loverboy was blaring through my headphones as I sketched madly and furiously scratched drafts of poetic prose in my well worn journal. Suddenly a truck pulled up and two men pulled 4 boxes with my name on them out of the back. A bounty from home, including a several packages of underwear for the kids, some of my nieces' and nephew's old clothing and shoes, medical and first aid supplies, crafts, candy, SAMOAS!, an envelope full of letters from Mrs. Vancini's 1st grade class, and a few trinkets for myself surged from the swollen parcels. It is always fun and comforting to receive a care package from home, but what I love most about these deliveries is how they bring joy to SO many people! Some of the goodies were set aside and saved for later, but the underwear and necessary items were doled out immediately. You wouldn't believed how excited these kids get over a new pair of knickers!

Clockwise from top left: Nakshathra, Swetha, Nithin, and Nishmitha showing off their new items. (I couldn't stop sniffing Nithin, in his new duds he smelled just like my little Otto!)

I am so grateful to have such a wonderful, loving, caring family who not only think of me constantly, but already have a home in their hearts for each and every one of these children. They celebrate their achievements, laugh at their humor, and cry genuine tears for their burdens as if they were their own. I am so proud to be a part of this family, each member with a heart of gold. It pains me to be away from them, but their support and encouragement and passion for what I am doing keep me here and help me to overcome whatever difficulties I find in my path. To my incredible family and friends, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment