Sunday, April 24, 2011

Resurrection Celebration

They were at the tomb early in the morning, and when they did not find his body, they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. Luke 24:22-23

In Christianity, Easter is the most important of the religious holidays, because it is the celebration of the greatest sacrifice, the crucifixion of the Son of God. So, naturally when Nina and I heard that no one was planning a service since there were only fifteen kids here, we stepped up to the plate and became pastors for the day. I say naturally, but really I'm lying because anyone that knows me would know that a couple of months ago I wouldn't be caught dead speaking in front of a group of people about anything, let alone God. The thought was intimidating to say the least, and I remember having knots in my stomach when I had to stand up in front of my church just to tell the congregation that I was coming here. The sermon was short and to the point, but I think we pulled it off quite well. We started out by teaching a new song, then Nina spoke about the crucifixion and the events leading up to it, and I followed with the story of the burial and resurrection. We closed with some quizzical questions about what they had just learned and I was able to share an Easter card and my favorite candy (and silly bandz) that my family and friends had sent from home.

Nina delivering the first half of the sermon

Preaching the Word!

After lunch, the kids had another surprise in store for them. Nina's family had sent goodie bags for the kids that we hid downstairs and in the play yard for a little Easter hunt. They had a blast!


We were so happy to share the story and spread the cheer that we so easily take for granted back home. We miss our families and the comfort of our traditions back home, but it was really special to be able to share this important day with such an amazing group of people.


The hunt! ©Nina

After the hunt we decided to have a little fun with Nakshathra, broke out the St. Patrick's Day mustaches that I had gotten in a package from home, and laughed all afternoon. Let me tell you, there are few things I find more entertaining than a fake mustache (false teeth and fake eyebrows also top the list.) We got a little carried away and had a photo shoot during our holiday induced sugar high. Enjoy!



Bendang came over and got in on the mustache action



Christ has not only spoken to us by his life but has also spoken for us by his death.
-Soren Kierkegaard

Happy Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment