Monday, April 11, 2011

Can I get a little water up in here?

It's been almost 24 hours since we've been without running water in the new house. I know it doesn't seem like that long, but you'd be surprised at how hot and dirty things get in that span of time (especially when there is a pit toilet involved.) It doesn't help that we have a 6 year old that is having bathroom issues and soiling herself everyday and we have to fill and heave buckets of water from next door to clean ourselves, our dishes, and 'flush' the toilet. The heat is getting pretty intense here, and not that we would normally be splashing around in a sprinkler or anything to keep cool, but I've realized I've taken for granted the luxury of washing my hands and feet when I need to, and how much cooler it really does make you feel. Losing running water is not uncommon around here, in fact it happens quite often. Luckily in the big house there is a supply underneath that can be reached with buckets on a rope and it is usually fixed within half a day or so. Still, even then, things get to be a pain when there are over 70 people living there. The latest problem is with the water pump at the new house, which has its own host of problems, including the worry that the broken door to the room Nina and I share will be an invitation for scorpions and snakes when the monsoons come.

Monsoon sounds so good right now.

Water is one thing I will have an incredibly renewed appreciation for when I return home. Not just that I can actually put a glass under my faucet and drink the refreshing nectar (as much as I want!), but also the fact that when I turn the knob, water always comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment