Wednesday, April 20, 2011

One is the Loneliest Number

Poor Nakshathra. When its just her, she doesn't talk much but requires our constant attention. If you have tried to entertain a child her age before, when they have little to play with, as well as trouble entertaining themselves, it can be slightly oppressive. I learned this last summer when my family hosted two orphans from Latvia. It took the entire five weeks for them to learn to play on their own without a song and dance from us. I literally had to hide out and take a nap every afternoon. I can practically feel Nakshathra breathing down my neck and see her in my peripheral just centimeters away from my face at any moment. I feel selfish for just wanting a second to myself, because she has got to be feeling so lonely. The other night after we put her to bed we heard her muffled sobs in the next room. When nothing else soothed her, she slept on the floor of our tiny room, occupying the only area available for foot traffic.

Her ankles and wrists packed with colorful friendship bracelets, we make clothespin doll versions of ourselves, read books, draw pictures, watch Justin Bieber and funny cat youtube videos....and then realize that only an hour has gone by. Entertaining a ten year old can be daunting! Once again, I find myself praying for patience, or at least a fresh idea to occupy the long hours in her day. Summer vacation is supposed to be fun, but it's hard to be creative day after day when you have to stay in the same place. If only we could go jump in a swimming hole or take a bike ride, that is what summer vacation is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment